I'm having an acne break-out, my doctor tells me to keep away from the sun. How relevant is the sun in this case considering I was born and raised in kenya and only living in europe for a couple of years now?

Pathology

In brief: ? Misunderstanding

Disorders with sun-sensitivity can develop at any age, especially from new immune disease, newly-symptomatic porphyria, or medications, and unrelated to where you grew up.
Sunlight has little effect on real, common acne -- perhaps there is a misunderstanding. Acne is best managed by prescription meds; i start with topical Clindamycin with or without a retinoic acid derivative in the mix.

In brief: ? Misunderstanding

Dr. Steven Seres