Why did I faint after splint removal after my septorhinoplasty?

Dr. Andres Gantous
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Nasal splints

You fainted because you had a vasovagal reaction.
Your heart slowed down a bit and your blood pressure came down as a result of pain and aprehension. It is quite common.

In brief: Nasal splints

Dr. Andres Gantous
Dr. Andres Gantous
Dr. J David Holcomb
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Involuntary response

Pain or even the anticipation of pain can cause a temporary imbalance of the autonomic nervous system which normally keeps the heart rate and blood pressure within a certain range.
With too much negative influence the heart rate and blood pressure both decrease enough to cause a temporary fainting episode. As the heart rate and blood pressure come back up normal consciousness returns.

In brief: Involuntary response

Dr. J David Holcomb
Dr. J David Holcomb
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine