Whats cosmetic vs reconstructive surgeon or plastic surgeon?

Dr. Thomas Fiala
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Anyone can

Legally call themselves a "cosmetic surgeon".
But only a plastic surgeon who has passed the exams on the american board of plastic surgery is a board-certified plastic surgeon.

In brief: Anyone can

Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Plastic is a board

American board of plastic surgery is the only specialty board recognized by the american board of medical speciaties (abms) that is certified to oversee the training of plastic surgeons.
Many other specialties perform cosmetic or aesthetic procedures (intended to beautify). Similarly reconstructive procedures intended to rebuild or restore function are performed by other specialties.

In brief: Plastic is a board

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. David Levens
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Let me explain

A plastic surgeon is fully trained in both reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
The term "cosmetic" surgeon is a newer term used for various reasons to describe physicians that focus primarily or exclusively on cosmetic procedures.

In brief: Let me explain

Dr. David Levens
Dr. David Levens
4 comments
Dr. Jason Lichten
Unfortunately, especially in cosmetic plastic surgery, there are many doctors who will offer surgeries that typically part of plastic surgery training and calll themselves "cosmetic surgeons". This may confuse patients as to what the doctors actual training is. These doctors may have just taken weekend courses and may not have the proper background to deal with everything that is involved in plastic surgery. This is why it is so important to make sure your surgeon is actually Board Certified IN Plastic Surgery.
Dr. James White
American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Confusing, huh?

Most plastic surgeons do both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
Reconstructive surgery starts with an abnormal feature and attempts to bring it closer to normal. Cosmetic surgery starts with a normal feature and attempts to make it better. A plastic surgeon is one certified by the american board of plastic surgery. I hope that makes sense!

In brief: Confusing, huh?

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Thomas Fiala
In Florida, the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery is not accepted by the state as a legitimate board. Only the ABMS boards, like the American Board of Plastic Surgery, are accepted. I realize that this is confusing to consumers - so please make sure you know the difference.