Is it possible for a newborn baby to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy?

The most aggressive form of sma is evident in early infancy with deminished strength & muscle tone, the often never sit & succumb to the disease within the first two years.
Lesser forms exist. Most result from a defect in the neuron survivor function encoded from chromosome 5 & are transmitted as a recessive trait. Recurrence is possible for any future pregnancy, carrier detection is available.

Dr. Mark Diamond
Yes. There are a variety of tests including genetic, conduction studies and muscle tests that can be done.
I currently have an infant patient with this diagnosis. The causes are unknown.

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Jonathan Jassey