I just got a splint to help my bruxism but i'm having issues with it. Like holes in it?

Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry

In brief: No problem

Your splint was either too thin, or you are a very very heavy bruxer. Continue wearing the appliance and talk to your dentist.

In brief: No problem

Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Edmund Lipskis
You need to find a dentist who knows how to figure out why you are bruxing. Bruxing that is regular (not just occasional or periodic) is almost always related to airway issues such as Sleep Apnea or as a neural reflexive response to pain and/or inflammation from anywhere in your body. Most bruxism appliances are just generic "guards" that are intended to protect your teeth from the damage that the bruxing can result in. Studies have now clearly demonstrated that these guards themselves can be a problem. For patients that have Sleep Apnea, for example, studies have demonstrated that 40% of the time, a generic oral appliance will make their apnea 50% WORSE!. This will make you brux even more with the appliance in (not to mention all the harmful issues that result from the more severe airway problem that the appliance caused). Once an appropriate diagnosis has been made for your problem, appropriate treatment can be recommended. Bruxism isn't a diagnosis, it is a sign/symptom of an underlying issue that needs to be diagnosed and probably treated.
Dr. David Duguid
Dentistry

In brief: See your dentist

I agree with dr. Zweig.
If it's really new, it is quite uncommon that there would be a hole in it. Most likely it was too thin. See your dentist and ask him or her about it. I rarely see patients actually wear a hole in their splint unless it's a couple years old. The good thing is, if it was made of adequate thickness, think of the damage you would have done to your teeth without it! good luck.

In brief: See your dentist

I agree with dr. Zweig.
Dr. David Duguid
Dr. David Duguid
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: TMJ expert

Bruxism is potentially serious problem. Seek care with a TMJ-orofacial pain doc.

In brief: TMJ expert

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry

In brief: Hard or Soft

Soft splints are commonly used and in many cased i think too often.
Many true bruxers will grind through them in a very short period of time. Hard splints are less comfortable but I have found them to last much longer. They do have a combination hard and soft guard that I have not tried yet. I would discuss your issue with your provider.

In brief: Hard or Soft

Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Adam Smith