What does an abnormal liver function test mean?

Abnormal LFT's. Elevated Liver function tests may occur for a variety of issues form Fatty infiltration (hepatic steatosis), viral illnesses such as the hepatitis viruses, Alcoholism, increased use of medications that metabolize through the liver (such as Acetaminophen), cirrhosis, biliary disease, gallbladder disease, etc, etc. Get an evaluation for the most likely cause if your LFT's are elevated.
Blood test abnormal. This usually refers to elevated liver enzymes (ast, alt or alkaline phosphatase). There are numerous causes for elevated liver enzymes to include alcohol, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, viral hepatitis, autoimmune liver disease, liver tumors, medication toxicity and others.