I have had knee meniscus operation and have to go back for ACL rebuild. Quack?

Hard to judge. Every patient is an individual case with many variables to contribute to a given result. An acl instability allows medial meniscus tears to occur. So there are certainly cases where a patient would undergo meniscus surgery to avoid a bigger operation, then find that the acl still needs to be addressed. If you are unsure, i recommend a second opinion to go over everything before the next surgery!
Second opinion. If there is any question in your mind about the appropriateness of a procedure you should get a second opinion. Half of the battle in a doctor-patient relationship is trust, if you are the slightest concerned then ask someone else to take a look at your case. Hope that this helps.