I have a splint for my TMJ but fear cancer from grinding and swallowing that plastic at night?

Pathology

In brief: No fear

Plastics are incredibly inert biologically and all the talk about their "causing cancer" is from scaremongers.
The artificial chemicals that really cause cancer are the ones that can mutate dna -- a plastic polymer won't even gain entry to a cell. Tmj can be very troublesome and finding an effective treatment difficult -- i wish you luck and admire your courage in writing.

In brief: No fear

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Safe

Same type of plastic used for dentures and partial dentures.
Proven safety for decades.

In brief: Safe

Proven safety for decades.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry

In brief: No cancer

I am not aware of any information that links either grinding or ingesting anything from a tooth splint causing cancer.
Try to stop grinding and this won't be an issue.

In brief: No cancer

Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Safe and effective

treatment to protect your teeth.
There is no scientific proof that TMJ splint may cause cancer.

In brief: Safe and effective

treatment to protect your teeth.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Rare???

Cancer from grinding would be very rare, as far as i know.
If the splint is made correctly, it is also unusual for one to break it and swallow the pieces. Anything is possible and that is a good reason not to buy over-the-counter or online mouthpieces. If you have further questions, i would seek out several opinions.

In brief: Rare???

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Peter Kurzweil