Has anyone any experience with operatiion of achalasia?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Yes.

I have a patient that suffers from barrett's esophagus, achalasia and such severe gerd that he has had two operations bringing the stomach up into the chest cavity and forming a new ring lower down in the stomach.
Despite this and medications, he continues to suffer episodes of regurg, vomiting, aspiration. Now he is getting Botox injections into lower esophagus to paralyze nerves. Next? Who knows.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

There are a variety if treatment options for achalasia, the most effective and long lasting of which is surgical myotomy.
There are centers in the us now performing the operation without abdominal incisions via an endoscopic approach called per oral endoscopic myotomy (poem).

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology