Can you educate me about tendon rupture?

Direct trauma. Tendon injuries are very catastrophic. Usually occurs when the foot is in a fixed plantargrade position and the tibia (shinbone) externally rotates rapidly, and the foot does not release from its flexed state. Injuries for tendon ruptures also take the longest to resolve, which can be from 8-20 weeks, depending on the amount and time of damage to the tendon.
Absolutely. Most commonly due to traumatic injuries that can disrupt the tendon. Usually the tendon ruptures and takes a small piece of bone or the tendon will rupture without bony involvement like a mallet injury inflammatory disorders like RA can cause the extensor tendons to rupture causing an inability to extend fingers. Steroid injections have been reported as well. Most ruptures require surgery.
Torn tendon. Tendons can also rupture from degeneration due to chronic injury or multiple cortisone injections.