Can I break a tooth with a TMJ splint in?

It is best if a hard acrylic splint is constructed after the upper and lower dentitions are repaired if necessary- decay removed, etc.
I realize that often the tmj/tmd has to be under control in order to have a comfortable appointment to fix the teeth...So a double edged sword exists. So yes, teeth can break from a splint, often the opposing teeth to the splint or the teeth anchoring the splint.

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Absolutely

The splint won't necessarily prevent teeth from breaking.
Teeth can break due to weakness in the enamel, decay, large restorations, or prior root canal.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Night Bruxism

also called night time clenching, may cause pain in the tooth wear, teeth movement and even damage or break teeth with or without splint.
See a dentist for bruxism consultation and treatment.

In brief: Night Bruxism

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Yes, many reasons a tooth can break, with or without a splint in.

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

If you are wearing a hard acrylic TMJ splint it is possible for you to break a tooth.
A tooth that is hitting prematurely on the splint and/or has a large filling in the tooth may be more susceptible.

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon