How do I know if I have candida overgrowth?

Dr. Mark Mattar
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Oral white thrush

A candida fungal infection can manifest in multiple ways, depending on where in the body the infection is.
You can have oral "thrush", which is a white plaque that does not go away on your tongue or the back of your throat, that can be painful. Another common presentation is a white thick vaginal discharge with itchiness.

In brief: Oral white thrush

Dr. Mark Mattar
Dr. Mark Mattar
Dr. Joel Gallant
The manifestations that Dr. Mattar describes are the types of candidiasis that really occur. "Candida overgrowth" is a medical myth.
Dr. Saul Hymes
Pediatrics - Infectious Disease

In brief: Depends

It depends what you mean by overgrowth and where.
Candida overgrowth in the mouth presents as a whitish plaque on the toungue and inside hte mouth--thrush. Candida overgrowth in the GU area presents as a beefy red itchy rash. The same can occur in the inner thihs in men--jock itch. Overgrowth inside the body does not usually cause symptoms except in immunocompromised individuals.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Saul Hymes
Dr. Saul Hymes