What are the chances of the surgery changing from a partial knee replacement to a full knee replacement?

Uncommon, age. If the partial knee replacement is performed correctly, one should expect it to last for many years. At the age of 38, you still need to avoid running for excercise, just as for a full knee replacement. If indicated, much better option for you at your very young age.
Nearly always. A partial knee will always need to be converted to full knee after a period of time depending on the state of and demands put on the implant.
Small chance . The key to partial knee replacement long term success is proper installation. When done correctly, 90% 20 year success rates are seen. Using robotics I have performed over 500 partial knee replacements and the installation accuracy is predictably within 1mm and 1 degree. This is the most consistently, reproducible way to install a partial knee replacement. Bearings can be changed in the future.