What are the chances of the surgery changing from a partial knee replacement to a full knee replacement?

Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine

In brief: Uncommon, age

If the partial knee replacement is performed correctly, one should expect it to last for many years.
At the age of 38, you still need to avoid running for excercise, just as for a full knee replacement. If indicated, much better option for you at your very young age.

In brief: Uncommon, age

Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Chittur Ananthakrishnan
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Nearly always

A partial knee will always need to be converted to full knee after a period of time depending on the state of and demands put on the implant.

In brief: Nearly always

Dr. Chittur Ananthakrishnan
Dr. Chittur Ananthakrishnan
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Small chance

The key to partial knee replacement long term success is proper installation.
When done correctly, 90% 20 year success rates are seen. Using robotics I have performed over 500 partial knee replacements and the installation accuracy is predictably within 1mm and 1 degree. This is the most consistently, reproducible way to install a partial knee replacement. Bearings can be changed in the future.

In brief: Small chance

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
If the patient is properly evaluated in the office during the physical exam and the xrays confirm the exam finding, then the chance of converting during the from a total knee to a partial knee should be very small. In my hands it has never had to be done. My colleagues that perform lots of partial knee replacements also see this as a rare event. Again it is critical to properly examine patients for partial knee replacement candidacy.