What advice do you have before a total shoulder replacement?

Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Patience!
Joint replacement surgery is a great solution for arthritic joint pain.
But it does take time to heal and recover. Shoulder range of motion is typically restricted for about 6wks after surgery. Therapy may be needed for 6-12wks after immbolization has ended. You will need to take pain medicine after surgery, but you will feel better. Find an orthopaedic surgeon with experience in shoulder surgery.

In brief: Patience!
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Relax
Typically, shoulder arthritis limits motion so much that it is difficult to perform any exercises beforehand.
The surgery itself is usually quite successful with limited complications. If you have picked a surgeon you like and trust, just relax and ease your mind!

In brief: Relax
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Relax
Anxiety before surgery is to be expected.
I suggest methods of relaxation such as meditation, music, exercise, sexual activity (protection), moderate use of alcohol (if ok with surgeon), family/friends support. I also ask patients to remember that objectively speaking, they should be aware that they will be safer during the time of surgery that driving on the freeway. Best wishes.

In brief: Relax
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Brian Badman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Shoulder specialist
Best advice i can give is to not let anyone do your replacement.
A recent article in jbjs noted that surgeon experience greatly impacts outcome. They looked at partial knee replacements but this can be extrapolated to other surgeries. Most docs doing replacements do less than 5/year. A shoulder specialist "high volume" does more than 50/ year. Seek out someone experienced! www.Indyshoulder.Com.

In brief: Shoulder specialist
Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine