Is it normal to have shoulder pain from the gas a month after laparoscopic surgery?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: No.
Shoulder pain following laparoscopy is believed to be due to irritation of the diaphragm by the carbon dioxide that is used to inflate the abdomen.
This pain should resolve within 2 to 3 days after surgery. I am afraid that you are barking up the wrong tree.

In brief: No.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: No
Shoulder pain a month after laparoscopic surgery is not likely related to the surgery.

In brief: No
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Erik Borncamp
agree, see your surgeon
In brief: No
It does depend on what was done to your diaphragm- because the pain comes from irritation of the diaphragm, and for just the carbon dioxide, it usually is gone in 3 to 4 days.
If they did a hiatal hernia repair, or a lap-band, you could have pain for a while.

In brief: No
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery