If someone has a knee reconstruction is it possible for them to play sports that they did before?

Yes, but depends on. Final outcome of surgery will depend upon the degree and nature of the problem, and as determined by ortho. Ligament reconstruction 2-8 wks. Amount and intensity of weight bearing, returning to work, kind & intensity of activity/sports, may be few weeks. If cartilage gone, full recovery-never. May have to avoid spec sport, limit to low impact, change lifestyle. Follow-up with ortho will determine.