I have a new hearing problem and doctor is giving the option of a hearing aid or an operation. How do I decide?

Hearing loss. You may have to talk to your ENT doctor again and come to an informed decision. If you still have questions, you can ask for opinion from another ENT surgeon. Hearing aid may be a temporary fix, but if surgery is going to restore your hearing you should go for it.
Surgery for hearing. Asking the right questions can help you decide, and so can asking another specialist in the same area for a second opinion. How expensive is the procedure? What are the risks? If you get a bad outcome, could it be worse than if you just got the hearing aid? (this is true with the eye procedures sometimes, so the eye doctors usually wear glasses themselves). Can you afford the hearing aids? Etc.