How can a spider bit cause someone to need a knee replacement?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Not likely
While certain spider bites can cause damage to the skin and underlying soft tissue, I have never heard of a case where a spider bite resulted in the the need for a total knee replacement.

In brief: Not likely
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Scott Hacker
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: They can't
While bites can cause infection and illness from the venom or developing infection, such bites cannot directly cause severe osteoarthritis and the need for replacement surgery.
Very very rarely, an infection developing in a joint might lead to joint destruction and eventual need for joint replacement.

In brief: They can't
Dr. Scott Hacker
Dr. Scott Hacker
Dr. Cindy Juster