Is there a relationship between IBS and food allergies?

Dr. Luis Matos
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: If you don't look...
Ibs is a clinical group of symptoms of unknown cause.
If you suspect specific foods that trigger intestinal cramping, diarrhea, dumping syndrome.And you have positive allergy skin test to these foods then technically you no longer have ibs. You have a food allergy. This situation is not very common but it is worth looking since avoiding the food is better have taking chronic medications.

In brief: If you don't look...
Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Howard Hack
In brief: Unknown
The traditional research in IBS has not definitively identified connections between foods or food allergies and ibs.
This is actually one of the definitions of IBS by the experts. Many of us believe IBS may represent more than one condition however and so I am careful to listen to what my patients tell me. I might be inclned to consider the symptoms something other than typical IBS in that case.

In brief: Unknown
Dr. Howard Hack
Dr. Howard Hack
Dr. Cindy Juster