After shoulder replacement surgery how many days do you have to stay in the hospital?

Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Usually overnight

Some joint replacement surgeries are done as an outpatient.
How the surgery goes and post-operative pain control will determine how soon you can go home. Usually, patients will get home the same day or next. Regional anesthetic helps with post-operative pain control. Talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

In brief: Usually overnight

Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: 1-2 days

Following tsa, most patients are discharged home the day following surgery.
Once pain is well controlled, diet is tolerated, and you can perform home exercises, you can go home. Of course, there may be extenuating circumstances that may necessitate longer admission.

In brief: 1-2 days

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Variable

This varies with the individual patient, the surgeon, and the anesthesia.
It can be 1 day to 3 days. I tend to make very small incisions and avoid hurting the muscles (muscles hurt the most when they are disturbed). Because of this, my patients either go home the same day or go home the next morning. Certainly this may change if you have more medical problems or pain from cervical neck disease.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine