What causes mouth ulcers and what is the best way to get rid of them with OTC or prescription drugs?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Mouth Ulcers

Mouth ulcers can be caused by minor trauma to the oral cavity.
Other causes include: stress & anxiety, hormonal changes, family history, foods like chocolate, coffee, peanuts, almonds, strawberries, cheese, tomatoes, wheat flour, stopping smoking, medical conditions like crohn's, coeliac disease, iron deficiency, reactive arthritis, B12 deficiency.

In brief: Mouth Ulcers

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher

In brief: Canker = Aphthous

Researchers are not sure of the cause of aphthous ulcers.
There is no known preventive measure. Treatment is palliative with low level laser therapy able to relieve pain and accelerate healing with about 5 minutes of treatment. Biolase waterlase iplus or md works well in my practice, of the lasers I have tried. Herpes is another possible ulcer. See your dentist to find the right diagnosis.

In brief: Canker = Aphthous

Dr. Simon Rosenberg
Dr. Simon Rosenberg