They say that in my lungs there is a virus called valley fever. Is there such a thing?

Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not a virus-a fungus

Southwest United States is the region in which the fungus coccidioides immitis can be inhaled in their spore forms from dessert dust, to cause pulmonary coccidioidomycosis (aka valley fever) .
"valley fever" originated from early observations that people in the san joaquin valley in central california, would get this illness marked by high fevers and respiratory symptoms.

In brief: Not a virus-a fungus

Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Coccidiodes

I think you are referring to the fungus coccidiodes immitis (cocci for short).
It causes the lung disease coccidiomycosis, sometimes referred to as valley fever as it is common in the central california valley and southwest. The infection is often mild and not diagnosed, but it can leave nodules, scarring or cavities that can appear on chest x ray.

In brief: Coccidiodes

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology