Need dental implant surgery; is local anesthesia is ok, is it enough?

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management
In brief: Dental implant
A local anesthetic nerve block should quite adequate for this procedure.

In brief: Dental implant
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
2 comments
Dr. Russell Lieblick
I agree with the above. Many of my patients complete their procedure with local anesthesia. However, it's patient specific. Your level of comfort with the procedure and your doctor's experience level with anesthesia options are major decision points when deciding on anesthesia. Discuss this with your doctor if you have concerns.
Dr. James Vito
Depends on your anxiety level. If you do not get anxious for a root canal, crown or filling then you should be fine with local anesthesia
Dr. Donald Nimz
Dentistry
I do most dental implants with local anesthetic only.

Dr. Donald Nimz
Dr. Donald Nimz
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dentistry
Local anesthesia is enough for most dental implant placements.

Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dr. William Dapper
Dentistry
We perform 95% of our dental implant procedures using a local anesthetic alone.

Dr. William Dapper
Dr. William Dapper
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Depends
Whether or not sedation and/or general anesthesia in conjunction with local anesthesia for your implant surgery is recommended may depend on the type, location and number of dental implants to be placed, and your level of anxiety.
Some people do well with just local anesthesia for any procedure, whereas others do better when sedated or asleep.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Depends
Usually local anesthestic is enough but it depends on the anxiety level of the patient, the number of dental implants being placed and if any one grafting is required.
For minor procedures patients tend to have only local anesthesia. For more involved procedures, sedation will be great for the comfort of the patient. Discuss your options with your doctor.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Yes, almost always.
Local anesthesia is a very fine way to undergo such a simple procedure.
You will be numb and shouldn't have any discomfort. Unless you are overly anxious, or have some additional medical condition, IV sedation is typically not necessary. Keep smiling !

In brief: Yes, almost always.
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Yes, I have placed several hundred implants on patients using only local anesthesia.

Dr. Anthony Silvestro
Dr. Anthony Silvestro
Dr. Ragan Faler
Dentistry
In brief: Many times yes
The invasiveness of dental implants varies greatly between cases.
Some advanced procedures involve manipulation of various structures i while simple implant placement is a very mild procedure. Simple implant placement is generally easier than having a tooth removed, and local anesthesia can be more than adequate.

In brief: Many times yes
Dr. Ragan Faler
Dr. Ragan Faler
Dr. steven Present
Dentistry
In most cases of implant surgery a local anesthetic is all that is needed.
However if you are concerned you can talk to your surgeon about IV sedation.

Dr. steven Present
Dr. steven Present
Dr. Russell Lieblick
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: It just depends.
It depends on the procedure and whether you are comfortable.
I can perform almost all of my dental implant procedures under local anesthesia, but many of my patients prefer IV sedation/general anesthesia. Most of my patients who undergo procedures under local anesthesia are pleasantly surprised at how easy the procedures are. Surgeon experience is the most important thing to making it easy.

In brief: It just depends.
Dr. Russell Lieblick
Dr. Russell Lieblick
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: Talk to Dentist
Most dental procedures can be done under local anesthesia with a cooperative patient.
If there are especially challenging then some sedation might be indicated. It is rare that a full general anesthetic would be needed for dental procedures. If you have concerns please contact your dentist and discuss these fears with him. Good luck.

In brief: Talk to Dentist
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. James Vito
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
Typically local anesthesia is sufficient to do th eprocedure.
If apprehensive you may wish to consider IV sedation.

Dr. James Vito
Dr. James Vito
Dr. Ahmad Eslami
Dentistry - Periodontics
In brief: Implant & Pain
Local anesthetic is a must with any dental surgery.
Some patients choose to take it further and get sedation (oral oral IV sedation) for further comfort. Sedation also provides additional benefit of "amnesia" so one will not recall the surgery.

In brief: Implant & Pain
Dr. Ahmad Eslami
Dr. Ahmad Eslami
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Can be
Unless you have anxiety issues with dental procedures, local can be all you need.
We treated a patient with only local and extracted all remaining teeth, placed 14 implants and placed upper and lower fixed temporary teeth the same day. It was a long day, but he did well. For that tx , most would prefer sedation. Many patients return to work after tx when only local is used. You know your needs.

In brief: Can be
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery