Is hernia surgery painful?

Yes. Any surgery is painful. The type of surgery and what the surgery is performed for will all influence the amount of pain. Laparoscopic hernia surgery can be less painfull than open hermia surgery.
Temporarily. The pain from hernia surgery is dependent on the location of the hernia and the method of repair. Most hernia operations are performed as out-patient procedures, with people using narcotic pain medication for days rather than weeks. Most people can return to a desk job within 1-2 weeks.