I have been put on cortef (hydrocortisone) for adrenal insufficiency? How long is the treatment? I'm worried it is permanent.

Might be Permanent. Different things can cause this. If you have addison's disease then this is most certainly permanent. If you were previously on a long course of steroids for immunosuppression, this may be temporary, in an effort to prolong the steroid weaning process. Please ask your physician to explain the cause and what to expect from your adrenal insufficiency to you.
Often Permanent. Adrenal insufficiency has a number of possible causes - including auto-immunity (addison's), infections, hemorrhage, pituitary failure, and suppression. Most of these, with the exception of suppression, are permanent. Please talk to your doctor, who should be able to identify the cause in your particular case, and advise you about whether or not this will be permanent.
Could be. If you have true adrenal insufficiency from any of a variety of causes, cortisol replacement will be a huge help. There's no question any more that president kennedy had addison's disease during his time in the sanate and oval office -- hopefully, if you have it as well, your physicians can manage it even more successfully.
Solu-cortef. Is a glucocorticoid similar to the steroid produced in the adrenal after stimulation by the pituitary hormone acth. It is a teatment of addison's, which is adrenocortical insufficiency. It usually is a permanent condition.