I have an aphthous ulcer (canker sore), is there any food I should stay away from? Anything that might cause more?

Acidic food/drinks. You should avoid acidic foods such as soda and other carbonated beverages, citrus fruit, etc. Rinse 4 times a day with warm salt water rinse to ease the pain and aid healing. The cause of aphthous ulcers is not really known exactly, but you should avoid acidic foods or anything that irritates the mouth. It takes 7-10 days for it to heal.
Aphthous ulcers. Acidic foods like tomatoes, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, high-dose vitamin c seem to be linked with canker sores in many people. Limiting consumption of these may help prevent recurrence. Others triggered by oral injuries: jagged tooth, biting inside of mouth, overly vigorous tooth brushing, braces, dentures.
Acidic foods/drinks. The reaction of people to acidic foods is very variable. Some people are just more susceptible to reactions to acidic foods and drinks, like orange juice, pineapple juice, fruits, tomatoes, and others. Stress and anxiety also create problems sometimes. As far as i know, prevention is difficult except for keeping track of what you eat and when you get the sores.