Does cd57 suggest Lyme disease? What is cd57 anyway?

Dr. Simon Tsiouris
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Controversial

Cd57 is shorthand for a certain subset of white blood cells.
Cd57 testing is a controversial way of trying to determine if someone has lyme disease. It is not widely accepted as accurate and most clinicians do not test for it.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Simon Tsiouris
Dr. Simon Tsiouris
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: In some cases but...

Noted lyme specialist raphael stricker discovered that many lyme patients have a low cd57 count (this is a subset of a type of white blood cell called natural killer cells) and that the level often increases as patents improve.
However, not all lyme patients have low cd57 counts. A low cd57 may be supportive of a lyme diagnosis but a high level in no way rules it out. See my comment for more info:.

In brief: In some cases but...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Not all people with low CD57's have Lyme, though most probably do. A good article about CD57's is http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/gingersavely/everything%20you%20always%20wanted.html However, here is a blog by a Lyme doc who questions the test's usefulness: http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2009/01/cd57.html My opinion is somewhere in the middle. A low CD57 may well indicate Lyme, and those with low CD57's will usually see it increase as they improve, but some quite ill with Lyme have good CD57 levels. We still need to learn more about the significance of CD57 levels.
Dr. Steven Seres