When do I need to have a liver biopsy if I have hepatitis?

Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: If it changes rx
In general a liver biopsy is useful to "stage" liver disease.
It is the best way to assess how much damage hepatitis has caused to the liver. However there are some noninvasive and clinical ways of detecting different levels of disease, especially cirrhosis. I usually recommend biopsy for my patients who are opting against current treatments to assure that we are not missing progressive disease.

In brief: If it changes rx
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
In brief: Depends
Most physicians will follow your liver enzymes through blood work and ultrasound scanning of the liver to follow the process of hepatitis.
Viral counts will also be followed. Liver biopsy is usually not performed until there is an indication of liver dysfunction such as dramatic change in liver enzymes or findings on ultrasound.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Brandon Martinez
Dr. Brandon Martinez
Dr. Peter Kurzweil