What precautions should I take with other people if I have hepatitis?

Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Depends on the virus

Hep a is passed fecal to oral hep b is extremely contagious and is in all body fluids hep c is less contagious than hep b and is only passed via blood.
Always practice safe sex.

In brief: Depends on the virus

Always practice safe sex.
Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Dr. Kristel Hunt
Internal Medicine - Hepatology

In brief: Depending on kind

of hepatitis... alcoholic hepatitis, steatohepatitis (fatty liver) or any drug-related hepatitis is not contagious in the least.
Hep A is transmitted by fecal-oral contamination. HBV and HCV are transmitted via blood, HBV and VERY VERY rarely HCV via sexual contact. should avoid all blood-to-blood contact with latter 2, kissing/ utensil sharing etc is fine.

In brief: Depending on kind

Dr. Kristel Hunt
Dr. Kristel Hunt
Dr. Peter Kurzweil