What initial tests do I need to take if I have hepatitis b?

Dr. You Sung Sang
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Hep B

If you have chronic hep b, then your doctor will follow liver function tests, hep b viral dna load, hep b eag/ab.
You may also need surveillance for liver cancer with regular liver sonogram and AFP (a tumor marker blood test).

In brief: Hep B

Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Complex...

I think it important to clarify if you actually have hep b or not.
Hepatitis b tests are, unfortunately, misinterpreted all too often by non-gi, non-id or non-hepatology folk. Sorry - but it's true. Anyway, the only test that actually proves hep b is the HBV dna test. Even that has 'qualifications' depending on which test used. See a GI md who is a member of aasld or a hepatologist.

In brief: Complex...

Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Steven Seres