I have left my chest tube wound open over night to help heal its been 3.5 weeks it's so painful underneath when will I feel better?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Post thoracotomy

Chest tube placement and other invasive chest wall procedures can lead to lasting pain.
Talk to your physician about using a drug for neuropathic pain, which can reduce or eliminate the symptoms.

In brief: Post thoracotomy

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Asaf Presente
the lining of the chest cavity has lots of nerves that can remain sensitive even after the "big hole" has closed up. Sometimes it can take upto a year for it to stabilize - using pain control as needed and neuropathic agents can be helpful like Dr. Walsh suggests.
Dr. Wojciech Skrzypiec
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: See you doctor

I do not know why and for how long did you have chest tube placed.
If there is no drainage it is possible that you have localized infection - abscess at that site. Usually you should not have any pail at the site after removal 3.5 weeks ago.

In brief: See you doctor

Dr. Wojciech Skrzypiec
Dr. Wojciech Skrzypiec
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery