What can I take to help me sleep. I have had very real feeling dreams and they are scary?

Dr. Parham Gharagozlou
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Sleep evaluation
Don't rely on medications.
You need to find what prevents or interrupts sleep. Additionally if you have vivid dreams that can be abnormal particularly in presence of other symptoms like hallucinations, loss of muscle tone and sleepiness. Nightmares also need work up to see if there is a psychiatric or medical reason.

In brief: Sleep evaluation
Don't rely on medications.
Dr. Parham Gharagozlou
Dr. Parham Gharagozlou
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Depends
Depends on why you are not able to get to sleep or stay asleep.
Disorders like sleep apnea or periodic leg movements can disrupt sleep. Usually, people that have difficulty with sleep should look at their sleep habits, stress, diet and medication use. Talking to their doctor can help send them in the right direction. For the dreams, try telling yourself before bed that you will have good dreams.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Eric Weisman