How long after back surgery can scar tissue cause pain?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Usually 3 months
Usually this is no longer than 3 months unless the scar tissue causes nerve entrapment or surgery resulted in the development of a neuroma which may require additional therapy.
First try a trial of scar massage if permitted by your surgeon.

In brief: Usually 3 months
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Scar tissue at the level of the nerve roots can be associated with pain. There is a rare scarring withing the spinal canal called arachnoiditis associated with pain. Chronic pain can also be associated with donor site pain, if bone graft was harvested from the pelvis.
Dr. Richard Guyer
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Scar can be painless
In the past we often said if a patient didn't get better it was from scar tissue.
I personally feel that this is rare that scarring around the nerves causes pain but rather the pain is due to the initial damage to nerve and may made worse by manipulation at surgery.

In brief: Scar can be painless
Dr. Richard Guyer
Dr. Richard Guyer
Dr. Vikram Patel