5 weeks pregnant and had a small amount of pink discharge when wiping. So far no heavy bleeding and minor cramping. Is this normal?

Dr. David Kurss
In brief: Probably yes
Slight spotting early on in pregnancy is not at all uncommon.
Frequently it is associated with the embryo implanting in the uterine wall. Nevertheless, concern is understandable. It is wise to avoid coitus and very strenuous activity/exercise for a bit and to followed closely by your ob. An ultrasound or quant. Hcg blood test can be reassuring. Good luck!

In brief: Probably yes
Dr. David Kurss
Dr. David Kurss
Dr. Renee Harris
In brief: Can be
Any spotting or bleeding early in a pregnancy is called a threatened miscarriage.
That being said, most often the bleeding stops and the pregnancy continues normally. The main worry we have as physicians is making sure the pregnancy is in the womb and not the tubes. I would recommend notifying your doctor for further evaluation.

In brief: Can be
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Jane Van Dis