If I have a chronic hepatitis b infection, should I be on medication?

Dr. Katharine Garnier
In brief: Maybe
Chronic hepatitis b may need to be treated, it depends on a variety of factors.
..Too complex to fully discuss on this board! you need to see a specialist in liver disease, get your labs done, including what is called a viral load, and liver tests as well as tests for various hepatitis b markers, and then have the specialist review your individual case and what they recommend, and why...

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Depends
There are 2 types of chronic hepatitis b: active and inactive.
Active disease is treated, while inactive disease is monitored. Either way, you need to be followed by an experienced hepatologist. They will let you know if treatment is necessary.

In brief: Depends
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. Marsha Davis