How do you treat someone who has oral allergy syndrome?

Dr. Paul Williams
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No treatment

Oral allergy syndrome is not treatable.
The only option is to avoid the food that triggers the reaction, although cooking the food can eliminate the reaction.

In brief: No treatment

Oral allergy syndrome is not treatable.
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter

In brief: Oral allergy synd Rx

Usually the reactions are to fruits, and they are local in nature.
Many of my patients with this problem do not require specific treatment, because the symptoms are mild. Sometimes if they want to eat the fruit, they pre-medicate themselves with antihistamines. If the reactions are really bothersome or dangerous, with throat closing, the food should be avoided as best possible, and epi pen carried.

In brief: Oral allergy synd Rx

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter