Do I need a liver biopsy if I have hepatitis?

Maybe. Depends on the type of hepatitis. Usually not done for acute hep. Can see if viral, or other cause, e.g. Autoimmune, toxic, drug hepatitis. Biopsy may help define the stage of disease, the amt of inflammation and scarring present. May affect decisions re: treatment type and/or duration.
Perhaps. Given the diagnosis of chronic hepatitis, liver biopsy is often performed to assess a baseline involvement of the liver. After getting that baseline, further liver biopsies may be performed to assess treatment effects, progression of disease and the presence/absence of fibrosis and cirrhosis.