Can I donate my organs if I have hepatitis?

Dr. James Eitner

In brief: Depends

It can depend on the type of hepatitis.
The organs being donated, and the recepient. Even in the worst cases, corneas may still be able to be used.

In brief: Depends

It can depend on the type of hepatitis.
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. Ralph Layman
Yes you can. They will be allocated to individuals with hepatitis.
Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Pts with hepatitis!

Hepatitis (at least b+c) can definitely be transmitted through organ, tissue and blood donation, so your organs shouldn't be transplanted into patients without hepatitis.
But, they can be matched into pts who already have the same type of hepatitis. With a severe shortage, this strategy allows us to use excellent organs, without transmitting a new disease. Recipients must give specific consent.

In brief: Pts with hepatitis!

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman
David Escobar

Yes, you can.

Yes, you can.
David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student
David Escobar

I would say it is possible based on many factors.
These would include what type of hepatitis a patient has and how active the hepatitis is. Even more important is whay organ is to be donated.

David Escobar
David Escobar
David Escobar

In brief: Depends

It depends on the type of hepatitis you have had whether or not you can donate your organs! anyone with hepatitis c would not be accepted as a suitable donor, nor anyone with chronic hepatitis b.

In brief: Depends

David Escobar
David Escobar
Dr. Peter Kurzweil