Why does my back keep hurting? Should I try a new chair or desk?

Dr. Michael Dansie
In brief: Good posture
Good posture is important.
You could try a new chair and see if that helps to decrease your back pain. Also try some tylenol (acetaminophen) and ibuprofen.

In brief: Good posture
Good posture is important.
Dr. Michael Dansie
Dr. Michael Dansie
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Back
First step is to have it looked at.
Then you can get relief recommendations.

In brief: Back
First step is to have it looked at.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Michael Rommen
In brief: Posture + exercise
In the absence of other medical problems, one of the best things someone who is relatively young can do is to get more exercise, and specifically more abdominal exercises.
Having proper posture at a chair or desk can help too. Sit up right, flex your abs, keep both feet flat on the floor or on a stool, and avoid leaning on the armrests while typing. If the pain persists, you should get a physical.

In brief: Posture + exercise
Michael Rommen
Michael Rommen
Answer assisted by Michael Rommen, Medical Student
Dr. Jack Hinkle