Why does my back keep hurting? Should I try a new chair or desk?

Dr. Michael Dansie

In brief: Good posture

Good posture is important.
You could try a new chair and see if that helps to decrease your back pain. Also try some tylenol (acetaminophen) and ibuprofen.

In brief: Good posture

Good posture is important.
Dr. Michael Dansie
Dr. Michael Dansie
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Back

First step is to have it looked at.
Then you can get relief recommendations.

In brief: Back

First step is to have it looked at.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Michael Rommen

In brief: Posture + exercise

In the absence of other medical problems, one of the best things someone who is relatively young can do is to get more exercise, and specifically more abdominal exercises.
Having proper posture at a chair or desk can help too. Sit up right, flex your abs, keep both feet flat on the floor or on a stool, and avoid leaning on the armrests while typing. If the pain persists, you should get a physical.

In brief: Posture + exercise

Michael Rommen
Michael Rommen
Answer assisted by Michael Rommen, Medical Student
Dr. Steven Seres