What are internal hemorrhoids?

Normal veins. Everybody is born with normal hemorrhoidal veins that serve as a vascular cushion for stool passage. They cause problems when people abuse them with poor diet, poor fluids, excessive straining, constipation or diarrhea. They should last a lifetime if you treat them properly.
Engorged veins. Internal hemorrhoids are veins that line the inside of the rectum, which are abnormally enlarged. They push up at the tissue around them, the "mucosa" or lining of the rectum, which then gets in the way and can sometimes protrude, bleed, itch, etc.