Can nec be fatal for a tiny baby?

Dr. Alfredo Garcia

In brief: NEC

Necrotizing enterocolitis (nec) in newborns caused by an inflammatory disease characterized by variable damage to the small and large intestines.
The mortality rate in nec ranges from 10% to more than 50% in infants who weigh less than 1500 g (about 3 lbs), depending on the severity of disease, compared with a mortality rate of 0-20% in babies who weigh more than 2500 g (5 and 1/2 lbs).

In brief: NEC

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia

In brief: Survivable too

NEC is a worrisome complication for sure, but one of many treatable and survivable problems of the newly born.
Yes they can die from it, but I had one that developed it that just had her second birthday.She was born at 23 wks and went through this at 2-3 weeks of age.

In brief: Survivable too

Dr. Shontae Buffington