Cardiac arrest related to brain inflammation?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Cause of death

Brain swelling (edema) will eventually cause the brain to herniate through one of the layers of protective scaffolding.
This usually leads to wild fluctuations in blood pressure and rapidly to respiratory and cardiac arrest. However, the cause of death is the cause of the brian edema, not the cardiac arrest.

In brief: Cause of death

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Probably not

I think that in this case, the cardiac arrest happened to occur in a patient with brain inflammation.
I don't necessarily think they are related. Cardiac arrest, when the heart stops beating, can be caused by a whole host of things.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Umesh Patel