Should I wear a patch to protect my cornea?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Maybe
Patches are applied to protect a cornea after surgery while it is numb from anesthesia.
They are sometimes used to lessen the pain of abrasion. It could be used to protect a fragile cornea in dangerous circumstances but it does occlude the vision. I am guessing your ophthalmologist suggest a patch - I would follow that advice.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Alfred H. Rivera
Ophthalmology
In brief: It depends.
For your normal everyday activities you do not need to wear an eye patch.
Your eyelids react to any potentially irritating stimuli and close to protect the cornea under normal circumstances. You should only wear a patch to protect your cornea if you have seen an eye doctor and the doctor has found some acute damage to your cornea that leads him to treat you with an eye patch to expedite healing.

In brief: It depends.
Dr. Alfred H. Rivera
Dr. Alfred H. Rivera