Are there any signs of vision impairment with early age related macular degeneration?

Depends. Most people experience distortion in the central vision as an early sign of age-related macular degeneration. There is a self-screening tool called an amsler grid that is often recommended for people with risk factors for the disease. It can help to detect early distortion. Decreased central vision with difficulty to read, recognize faces, watch tv, and drive often happen as the disease progresses.
Yes. While often overlooked and not talked about much, perhaps the earliest sign of macular degeneration (amd) is delayed adjustment from bright to dim light ("delayed photostress recovery"). Many patients with signs of amd on examination and nearly perfect vision will report that they have noticed that it takes longer so see things when coming from bright into dim light surroundings.