How can someone with borderline personality disorder (bpd) improve their social relationships?

Therapy. Many different forms of therapy have been shown to help people with borderline personality disorder. All are long term.
Therapy can help. People with bpd can significantly improve their relationships by learning new ways of coping with challenging emotions and personal events, and learning cognitive-behavioral therapy or dialectical behavioral therapy skills that will decrease emotional dysregulation. Social relationships are improved by this increased stability and self-control, especially in interactions with others.
Borderline. Most effective are cognitive behavior therapy (cbt) & dialectical behavior therapy (dbt).
DBT helps. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) has substantial empirical support for effectively treating Borderline PD, and a key focus of the therapy is on interpersonal relationships. Here's a website that provides information about DBT: http://psychcentral.com/lib/an-overview-of-dialectical-behavior-therapy/ and here's another with lots of self-help tools: http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/. Best wishes.