Copd ---- what's considered a high concentration of required oxygen?

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Delivery
Perspective is that 21% is the concentration from the air we breath.
2-3% increase in concentration is from each liter of oxygen added. So 1 liter is about 24% and this can go through a nasal canula tube. Over 4-5 liters, you cannot get this from a canula and need continuous flow to maintain the concentration. This would be considered "high" in my book. Not sure if this answers your question.

In brief: Delivery
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice
In brief: Copd
Generally COPD patients require only about 2-3 liters of oxygen.
More concentrated oxygen will have a detrimental effect. It increases what is called partial pressure of co2. If the levels go beyond 40 then the patient may become lethargic, becomes short of breath.

In brief: Copd
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology