How long after an orthopedic surgery can an infection develop?

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine
In brief: Few days
Most show signs of infection within the first few days.
Sometimes it get be much longer before the infection really takes hold. Its important to monitor a wound closely and aggressively treat any siigns of early infection with antibiotics asap.

In brief: Few days
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Martin Raff
Hopefully the area involved will be carefully assessed for extent of involvement, and cultured appropriately before initiating antibiotic therapy. There is seldom a need for immediate initiation of antibiotics, and I agree with Dr. Sider that ASAP is a good approach as long as the potential for masking severe infection is taken into account.
Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine
In brief: Orthopedic infection
I have seen infections start within days to many years later. Obviously the most common time is 2-3 days postop.

In brief: Orthopedic infection
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Infection
It can occur early from a wound infection, or later from infection spread from elsewhere in the body, i.
e. Hematogenous.

In brief: Infection
e. Hematogenous.
Dr. John Michalski
Dr. John Michalski
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine