What is myofascial trigger point release for musculoskeletal pain?

See below. A myofascial trigger point is thought to be an area of irritable muscle. Pressure on this area will often cause local pain as well as a referral of pain to other sites. The exact nature and cause of these trigger points is unknown but they do exist. Trigger point release is a manual therapy technique to desensitize this spot. It usually consists of deep pressure as well as stretch of the muscle.
Deep massage. Trigger points are taut bands of muscle that are tender to palpation. Trigger point release involves applying deep pressure with or without massage to "release" or loosen the muscle tissue.