Will muscle atrophy just keep shrinking my muscles while I am stuck in bed after multiple fractures?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Activity critical!

It is amazing how quickly lack of activity can impact the body.
Muscle weakness, and even loss of muscle mass is a common and quick effect of illness and being bedridden. I warn patients that for every day in bed especially if critically ill, it can take 4 days of therapy to regain strength to the previous level. Activity is so important for overall and muscle health!

In brief: Activity critical!

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Steven Morgan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Atrophy

Muscles shrink in size with out activity.
The longer you remain in bed the more muscle loss and weakness will occur. If possible ask if your injuries will allow you to perform some excercises or get out of bed.

In brief: Atrophy

Dr. Steven Morgan
Dr. Steven Morgan