How long before I can play basketball after a dislocated kneecap?

3 months. Typical recovery from a first-time patellar dislocation that does not require surgery is about 3 months. Many factors determine one's rate of return including level of pain, swelling, range of motion, quad strength and functional status.
Variable. Each person recovers differently after a kneecap (patella) dislocation. It depends on how much damage was done the knee at the time of dislocation. It can take anywhere from 1 week to 12 weeks to resume function enough to play baseball. Typically any damage manifests as swelling inside the knee. Swelling inhibits the quad muscles. After the swelling goes down, the quads have to return to function.